Friday 19 February 2010

Let's start at the very beginning

Last year I went to my very first Light Night. Some of the contributors were great, some...weren't; but they all seemed to be having so much fun, and everything seemed like such an achievement, which made every one we visited a complete success.

A few months later, and I mentioned to an artist friend of mine that she should apply for 2010. When she replied that she didn't think she would, I thought it was such a wasted opportunity. Then I thought it was a wasted opportunity if I didn't apply.

I'm not an artist. Give me a pencil and a piece of paper and I'll draw something you wouldn't give your child credit for. I was politely asked to leave my art class at school, and I haven't studied it since - even my doodles are relegated to boxes and scribbled-out stars. So what gives me the right to think I could apply for Light Night? Well, I'm enthusiastic. I have "genius" ideas, but don't have the skills to carry them through. I like, even if I'm not very good at it, attempting photography, and origami, and theatre.

So I decided all I needed was an idea, and then I'd somehow figure out how to make it work...

No comments:

Post a Comment