Monday 22 February 2010

The Senbazuru

The senbazuru, as lifted straight from Wikipedia:

"Thousand Origami Cranes (千羽鶴, Senbazuru or Zenbazuru) is a group of one thousand origami paper cranes held together by strings.

An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury...

The Thousand Origami Cranes has become a symbol of world peace through the story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who tried to stave off her death from leukemia as a result of radiation from the atomic bombing of Hiroshima during World War II by making one thousand origami cranes, having folded only 644 before her death, and that her friends completed and buried them all with her."

In 2008 I folded 1000 cranes, which took around 3 months to do. It looks like this:



The crane isn't a particularly hard model to fold, and I'm by no means the best origami person ever, but I do get a lot of people asking me about my origami (particularly as it is something I tend to do on the train/bus to keep me busy during journeys) and a lot of people are surprised when I tell them about the senbazuru, because they can't imagine 1000 cranes all together at once.

Only recently I'd been talking to my husband about getting rid of them, because they take up a lot of room and we'd just moved house. I'd been talking about making another, out of smaller paper; but what if I made another, especially for Light Night?

No comments:

Post a Comment